**Visit All Things Urban Fantasy today for her Deadly Destination tour with Tami Dane & enter for a chance to win Blood of Innocence**
Deadly Destinations serves up a taste of the World of Night. Kendra Leigh Castle offers some tips on how to survive in this dark world. The third novel in the Dark Dynasties series, Shadow Rising, is now available. One lucky winner will receive a copy of Shadow Rising, thanks to Kendra!
A Traveler’s Tips for Wandering the World of Night
By Kendra Leigh Castle
When the sun goes down, the immortals come out…at least, they do if you’re in the world of my Dark Dynasties series. While vampires are a fascinating race, the World of Night is no place for an unprepared mortal no matter how much you long to go exploring. With that in mind, I’ve put together a list of ten tips to help the curious humans among us navigate vampire society, see the sights, and (hopefully) wake up in the morning without bursting into flames with the first rays of the sun.
1. Be aware of dynasty marks! These tattoo-like markings at the collarbone are often proudly displayed, and often determine what kind of reception you’ll get should you approach a specific vampire. I’ve got a more thorough accounting of the various markings on my website, but in short, you’ve got a reasonable chance at living through the night unless you see an ankh tattoo. That would be a Ptolemy.
2. Stay away from the Ptolemy.
3. While you’re busy staying away from any Ptolemy, a good place to encounter vampires in a reasonably safe environment is a vampire club. One of the more famous establishments is Mabon in Chicago. Finding such a club can be a tricky proposition, but following small groups of pale and unbelievably gorgeous people can sometimes lead you in the right direction. It can also get you slapped with a restraining order, so try this at your own risk. Also, if you’re following people who looked like they just stepped out of a Tim Burton film, you’re on the wrong track. Vampires are never that ostentatious. At least not in public.
4. A crowd of vampires is actually safer for a human than being alone with a single vamp. Vampires, in general, hate creating scenes. Many of them have deeply ingrained manners, always a good thing to remember when dealing with them socially.
5. If you meet a vampire with a small, crescent moon tattoo near his bloodline mark, you’ve met a Shade. These thieves and assassins from the mysterious House of Shadows are highly paid for their skills by the dynasties in their machinations against one another. They also know how to have a good time. Partying with a Shade, however, will at best get you bitten, and at worst get you dead. Proceed with caution.
6. Being bitten by a vampire (fairly likely if you really want a close look at them) is not the end of the world, nor is it likely to be the end of your mortal life. Purebloods are selective about who they turn, and it’s rarely a spur-of-the-moment decision. Mixed-bloods are a riskier proposition, but if they’re hungry enough to turn you, it’s going to be obvious unless you’re, you know, drunk. Which is a bad thing to get around vampires in general.
7. Being bitten by a vampire is often a heady experience. You might like it. You may then run into other humans in the same boat—they’re recognizable by the black ribbon at their throats. This is the vamp equivalent of “going steady.” Some of them will eventually bond with their significant others and become vamps themselves. Some will get dumped and suffer nervous breakdowns. Be aware that if you choose to get involved, it’s probably going to be a Lady Gaga “Bad Romance” kind of thing no matter which way it goes. People who’ve lived for centuries have a lot of baggage.
8. Cities are the homes of the vampires. If you want to meet a werewolf, you’re going to have to get out in the country. Also, werewolves hate vampires and vice versa. if you’ve made a vamp friend, don’t bring him or her along.
9. Werewolves are actually harder to find than vampires, partially because they enjoy the sunlight. They tend to live in big, tightly-knit packs, often claiming entire towns for themselves for safety. Look for towns surrounded by woods. The men tend to be big, and many pack members will have unusual amber eyes. They pose far less immediate danger to the average human, but are wary of outsiders and will generally try to get you out of town as quickly as possible.
10. Do not ask a vampire if he or she sparkles. Ever.
Now, I would never promise safety—and if you didn’t like a little bit of danger, why would you be looking for vampires anyway?—but if you follow these simple tips, I expect you’ll stay in one piece as you begin to explore the world of the Dark Dynasties. Happy travels…you’ll have a wickedly good time!
Kendra Leigh Castle is the author of the Dark Dynasties series from Forever Romance, including her new release Shadow Rising. She’s also the author of the RITA-nominated Renegade Angel from Harlequin Nocturne and the MacInnes Werewolves trilogy from Sourcebooks. She lives in Maryland with her husband, three kids, and menagerie of pets.
Want to read more from Kendra Leigh Castle?
This giveaway is provided by Kendra Leigh Castle
One lucky winner will receive a copy of Shadow Rising
Available July 31, 2012 from Forever/Hachette Book Group
About this Book:
Ancient Secrets, Dark Passions…
As one of the Grigori, a noble vampire dynasty shrouded in mystery, Ariane has spent her life hidden away in the desert. Like all of her kind, she is a watcher, fated to observe, forbidden to act. Yet when her best friend, Sammael, vanishes, she defies all rules and flees her safe haven to bring him home.
A shape-shifting assassin for the House of Shadows, Damien Tremaine is hired to locate Sammael. His hunt for the wayward Grigori leads him to Ariane, the rogue vamp who stands between him and his bounty. Damien never lets emotion interfere with his work, but a single touch from the sexy, beguiling vampire shatters his self-control. Drawn together by their common goal, what begins as an alliance of necessity soon becomes one of desire. But when the secret at the dark heart of the Grigori comes to light, Damien and Ariane must make a choice that could bind them eternally…or tear them—and everything they care about—apart.
Click HERE to read an excerpt
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.